free website stats program New guy with '09 FLHRC could use a hand | Harley Davidson Forums

New guy with '09 FLHRC could use a hand

marvkaye

Prior to now, the last time I rode a Harley was was 60 years ago. That being said, I finally bought myself an '09 Road King and am quite pleased with it...

2009_FLHRC_010.jpg

I do have a few things I'm going to update (lights mostly) and could use some help getting it quieted down a bit... it has 3-1/2" diameter slip-ons that bark just a bit much for my liking and I'd appreciate any assistance you folks might share in that regard. Here's a photo of one of the exhausts...

2009_FLHRC_020.jpg

and looking into the business end....

2009_FLHRC_040.jpg

it looks to me like it already has a pretty small baffle installed... first of all, can someone ID whose slip-ons these are? They don't look like any I've been able to find in the many searches I've done, Next, is it possible I can tone these things down simply by extracting, wrapping and reinstalling the existing baffles? Amy suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks for having me, guys, I'm looking forward to our future interactions.... have an awesome week!!!

Marv K

PS... this is a copy of post made in the new member forum... sorry, I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting it twice.

Welcome. The backside of the mufflers are sometimes embossed with the brand name. Wipe one clean, then use a mirror to see if there is anything there. From what I see of your baffles they are the type that uses the shape of the louvers to dampen sound so wrapping probably wouldn't work. The baffles can be removed and measured and possibly find aftermarket ones that fit. Removing baffles can be difficult due to carbon buildup, but a slide hammer puller usually gets them out.

Welcome to HDT from Sweet Home Alabama. Nice looking scoot, at 1st glance it looks like the baffles should come out, if so you may be able to wrap with fiberglass but i've never done it. You'll have to pull it out to find out for sure.

Welcome. The backside of the mufflers are sometimes embossed with the brand name. Wipe one clean, then use a mirror to see if there is anything there. From what I see of your baffles they are the type that uses the shape of the louvers to dampen sound so wrapping probably wouldn't work. The baffles can be removed and measured and possibly find aftermarket ones that fit. Removing baffles can be difficult due to carbon buildup, but a slide hammer puller usually gets them out.
Thanks for the heads up... I'll see if I can find an ID where you suggest. Knowing the mfr would go a long way to finding the right silencing treatment. Thanks again........

Welcome to HDT from Sweet Home Alabama. Nice looking scoot, at 1st glance it looks like the baffles should come out, if so you may be able to wrap with fiberglass but i've never done it. You'll have to pull it out to find out for sure.
Thanks, nice to be here. And yes, it's a pretty nice bike... only 18k miles and not a scratch anywhere I can find. Lucked out on that one. Hopefully I'll find out the name of mfr and go to them for quieter.

Marv here are some pictures of the OE mufflers from my RKC I had years ago.
Inside of the front are 1.75
Length is 29.25 at the tip of the slash cut.
20240919_075346.jpg

Attachments

• 20240919_075507.jpg
    20240919_075507.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240919_075413.jpg
    20240919_075413.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
Marv here are some pictures of the OE mufflers from my RKC I had years ago.
Inside of the front are 1.75
Length is 29.25 at the tip of the slash cut.
Hey Joel. Those look amazing and they should fit just fine. I'll add my shipping address to our conversation and we can finish off over there. You get my vote!!! :cool::cool:

Rather than start a whole new thread I thought I'd just add to this one... same bike, different topic...
I've got a replacement inner shift arm on order from Thrashin Supply but they're out about a month so I'd like to modify the existing arm in the meantime but I can't seem to get it off. Even with the binding screw loosened (almost all the way out) the arm simply will not release from the splined shaft. Do any of you know the trick to removing this part? I'm not interested in beating on it, there must be another more elegant and less percussive method. I'm almost inclined to design & build a puller exclusive to the task (unless there's already one out there...). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2009b_FLHRC_010.jpg
    2009b_FLHRC_010.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 0
Back