free website stats program Pinion Gear and Ring Gear Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Pinion Gear and Ring Gear Issues

SofaKing

2003 XL1200C came in with crank shaft nut off the threads, chewed up ring gear, and drive dogs on mainshaft first gear knocked off (no 4th gear), and a smoked starter.
Replaced starter, mainshaft and countershaft 1st's, and put a new weld-on ring gear. Now I'm chewing up ring gears (4) like there's no tomorrow. It starts good at first but in a week or two the customer calls with another chewed up ring gear. I cut the old one off and weld a new one on. I test drive it for a day and everything's perfect but a week later customer has it chewed up again. the aftermarket ring is V-twin and very poor quality(soft) and I've checked the tooth depth and it is not all the way seated in other gear but is well past halfway meshed (I heard that a paperclip was a good feeler gauge for this). My question is How do I get this to stop? Is the pinion gear on the aftermarket starter too small? Is the inner primary letting the starter sag? Is the ring gear's teeth too soft? I don't think the basket(mainshaft) is allowing this. How do I get the teeth to mesh as deep as a paperclip? 5th ring gear is going on soon but not until I got this diagnosed. Does anybody make a decent ring gear for this bike cause compared to stock this V-twin Ring Gear $100 a pop is absolute crap. I'm going to compare Pinion gears from stock starter tomorrow to see if they're different in any way.

Back