free website stats program Question... fish tail pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Question... fish tail pipes

I have found fish tail pipes on Ebay and i was just wondering if anyone here has used them. They're slip ons, so I assume i won't have to retune but figure I look stupid and ask than find out the hard way after getting them.

Harley? Model? Year? Carb or EFI? Brand of fish tail muffluers? Any other modifications? Need more information for an informed response. Normally, if motor is in stock trim, replacing OEM mufflers with slip ons does not require a tune. Having said that, even a stock motor will benefit from a dyno tune; up to the owner if knowing the motor is in an optimum state of tune is worth the cost.:rolleyes:

it would be a 2010 road king FLHP.... says JY performance 36" pipes, no other modifications except a bedroll speaker set up that i made

JMHO but replacing OEM mufflers with any slip ons should not require a tune. Be advised that if you are expecting the low "rumble" that most are looking for by replacing OEM mufflers with a set of slip ons, you will be disappointed with the fish tail sound which is often described as a "high pitch kackle". If you just want the fish tail look, Samson probably has the best sounding fish tail slipons but they will still not have that Harley rumble.

If you want great sound and a little boost in performance, take a look at the Khrome Werks offerings. Another option you might consider is replacing the baffles in the OEM mufflers; I recall if that year and model had the cats in the mufflers but if not; Fullsac and Big City Thunder offer baffles.

1 of the loudest obnoxious bikes I road behind had fishtail style mufflers.
If you don't get them, I have 4 inch Rinehart with maybe 5000 mile of use on them, in case your looking for options.

Two things I agree with the previous posters on. No tune necessary and fishtail straight pipes are obnoxious sounding, Kackle is the best word I've heard to date.

i was just trying to go with the whole cholo look. the only things i got left to do is the exhaust and apes. i got apes on my other road king so i'm much more comfortable with them either way.

Back