free website stats program A few questions regarding the troubleshooting I am doing to figure out the cause of U1016 on my bike. | Harley Davidson Forums

A few questions regarding the troubleshooting I am doing to figure out the cause of U1016 on my bike.

Bjorn218

About three days ago I started to have issues with my bike backfiring at speed the losing power. Once stopped the bike would not start but would turn over. I would receive the U1016 code under the first S on the Dash while checking codes. part number was 68925-07 which is the TSSM. So I am about to delve into the Electrical troubleshooting manual to perform the tests after making sure that all the connectors and wires in the harness are solid, and not broken worn, etc.
I have seen another thread where I need to make sure that the light green with violet stripe wire coming off pin 5 of the ECM has 5VDC. This wire branches off a couple times after the ECM, so I should or should not unplug each module and check the voltage one at a time at each module for 5VDC or can I leave all connected since the wire is a regulated 5V? Should I look for the same for the return regulated 5VDC (Pin 13 I think without looking at the schematic), and would that show as a "-"VDC? Negative voltage like on a IC chip? Aside from thne 4 tests shown int he book (there are 5 but I do not have a tach), is there any other sensor which may cause this code to show? My Speedometer doesnt work except when performing the code check. I have heard elsewhere online that the CKP and Speed Sensor can cause this code to appear as well Does anyone know the resistance of each of those sensors and can post them so I can check those as well as I am going down the checklist. I want to rule out everything before having to mentally process the cost of a new ECM with programming at $175/hr one hour minimum at the local.

I greatly appreciate any help on this and if you help me sort this without too much pain, you ever come down my way or I pass through yours, Dinner is on me.( I cook for a living so bartering with that skill I enjoy doing) and if not, then well. Ill send you a sixer as appreciation.

Not trying to buy yourt assistance, just letting it be known that I like to reciprocate for the kindness you show me by helping me.

I have serious doubts that it is your ECM based on information given.

Resistance will be very low on sensors.

The 5v reference circuits that go to sensors are dependent on the type of sensor installed. Many times on HD, you will find it is a magnetic inductor style sensor. It will show a square wave between 0-5 volts when testing.

Some have Hall sensors depending on the application. They will show a sine wave when testing.

I can tell you, on earlier models like my 92 Electra, when the turn signal module fails, it also effects the speedo, they are on same circuit.

On the later models, I believe a problem with tssm can cause the problems you are describing.

Step number 1, post year, make, and model so we can view wiring diagram and get more eyes on the problem along with input from others on the site.

I have serious doubts that it is your ECM based on information given.

Resistance will be very low on sensors.

The 5v reference circuits that go to sensors are dependent on the type of sensor installed. Many times on HD, you will find it is a magnetic inductor style sensor. It will show a square wave between 0-5 volts when testing.

Some have Hall sensors depending on the application. They will show a sine wave when testing.

I can tell you, on earlier models like my 92 Electra, when the turn signal module fails, it also effects the speedo, they are on same circuit.

On the later models, I believe a problem with tssm can cause the problems you are describing.

Step number 1, post year, make, and model so we can view wiring diagram and get more eyes on the problem along with input from others on the site.
Isn't the TSSM on newer can bus bikes part of the BCM?

Isn't the TSSM on newer can bus bikes part of the BCM?
I'm not positive Boss. It's my understanding the BCM replaced the TSSM around 2011 on softails and then 2014 on the rest.

I'm not sure what bike we are talking about yet.

Once we find out that information, we can look at some wiring diagrams.

I work on older bikes more then the newer ones, so I have to figure them out as I go.

I worked at MOCO for quite a while, but, I still don't remember the intricacies of the bikes. Many engine groups and years and when they were manufactured seems to stick with me. Other then that, I have to figure out the other repairs on the fly.

Mostly all my friends ride twin cam, evo, and shovel. I can figure it out though, some of my buddies still work at the plant. Good sources of information when I get stumped.

Once we figure out what bike we are working on, we can figure out if it's a function of the BCM and back probe while cranking, check the sensors etc.

I'm a little lost on the newer models without schematics and a service manual.

Hopefully, someone else had the same issue and these conversations with get them to chime in.

My apologies for not following up sooner but I have been tearing the bike down so I can make sure the harness connections are in good shape. Got sidelined by cleaning the parts that I usually are never able to get my hands into.

My bike is a 2010 FXDWG

It has the TSSM The one thing that differs with mine and the Service and electrical manual is that my FOBs are button-less though not sure it makes a difference.

There were a few things that I found interesting and hopefully are the culprits were:
1 - I had relocated my horn and Coil pack. The pigtail I made for the coil (now where the horn was) the Butt connectors had vibrated loose. I repaired those with hard soldered connectors and dual wall shrink wrap.
2. The TSSM Antenna connector at the TSSM had pulled out from being locked in secured that by pushing it back in until it locked in place.
3. The electrical connector for the rear cylinder fuel injector was in just sitting in the injector receiver for it it was not locked in either. This one had me scratching my head as I have never been able to get to it when the tank was on and I never noticed sluggish performance so I do not know if its actually been sending fuel to that cylinder or not.

No fuses have blown and all read continuity

All grounds have been taken apart and cleaned and scrubbed until the metal was bright, then put back together.

The ignition switch connections were corroded and are now clean. The tank is off now and will put it back together once putting the tank back on.

All Harness connectors under the tank have been cleaned with contact cleaner as have the fuses and ECM connector. I need to clean the TSSM connectors, as well as sensor connectors. This is my daily driver, so I m trying to make sure all connections can be ruled out as good and not intermittent.

I also noted in the manual that whenever power is removed (Section 5.45 in Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) via battery disconnect/power drain, removing the main fuse, or connecting BREAKOUT BOX Pn HD-42662 to TSSM I have to reconfigure the TSSM?

The procedure says to turn stop switch to OFF, cycle the ignition On-Off On-Off On then press left turn signal twice
Then it says to Repeat Step listed above
Then Continue with Configuration Sequence Listed.

I never knew this and have had no issue with running the bike after swapping a battery, but I ll try this but which Steps listed above and which configuration sequence as there are a few listed. Is this Storage mode configuration, changing the security PIN, or initial PIN setup?

Dont know if it is cool or not but here is the link to the wiring diagrams off Harley's site. If it is not then Ill edit and remove the link
Wiring Diagrams for 2010 Dyna

Last edited:
Well sir, great progress! I believe the sequence is designed not only for changing modes, I think the sequence also is designed for the ECM to relearn the TSSM. Possibly, the system still had stored current when you changed the battery which is why you did not experience an issue previously. (The period wasn't long enough to lose memory)

Cleaning the TSSM connections would surely be a great idea.

Are you still having issues?

If you are still having issues, remember, resistance testing is not fail safe. Voltage drop testing while the circuit is live is a much better option for a host of reasons.

Oftentimes, resistance test will produce false results and send you down a rabbit hole.

Hopefully, you found the problem when you noticed the connector was not properly fastened.

Either way, great job and thanks for the detailed update.

Last edited:
My apologies for not following up sooner but I have been tearing the bike down so I can make sure the harness connections are in good shape. Got sidelined by cleaning the parts that I usually are never able to get my hands into.

My bike is a 2010 FXDWG

It has the TSSM The one thing that differs with mine and the Service and electrical manual is that my FOBs are button-less though not sure it makes a difference.

There were a few things that I found interesting and hopefully are the culprits were:
1 - I had relocated my horn and Coil pack. The pigtail I made for the coil (now where the horn was) the Butt connectors had vibrated loose. I repaired those with hard soldered connectors and dual wall shrink wrap.
2. The TSSM Antenna connector at the TSSM had pulled out from being locked in secured that by pushing it back in until it locked in place.
3. The electrical connector for the rear cylinder fuel injector was in just sitting in the injector receiver for it it was not locked in either. This one had me scratching my head as I have never been able to get to it when the tank was on and I never noticed sluggish performance so I do not know if its actually been sending fuel to that cylinder or not.

No fuses have blown and all read continuity

All grounds have been taken apart and cleaned and scrubbed until the metal was bright, then put back together.

The ignition switch connections were corroded and are now clean. The tank is off now and will put it back together once putting the tank back on.

All Harness connectors under the tank have been cleaned with contact cleaner as have the fuses and ECM connector. I need to clean the TSSM connectors, as well as sensor connectors. This is my daily driver, so I m trying to make sure all connections can be ruled out as good and not intermittent.

I also noted in the manual that whenever power is removed (Section 5.45 in Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) via battery disconnect/power drain, removing the main fuse, or connecting BREAKOUT BOX Pn HD-42662 to TSSM I have to reconfigure the TSSM?

The procedure says to turn stop switch to OFF, cycle the ignition On-Off On-Off On then press left turn signal twice
Then it says to Repeat Step listed above
Then Continue with Configuration Sequence Listed.

I never knew this and have had no issue with running the bike after swapping a battery, but I ll try this but which Steps listed above and which configuration sequence as there are a few listed. Is this Storage mode configuration, changing the security PIN, or initial PIN setup?

Dont know if it is cool or not but here is the link to the wiring diagrams off Harley's site. If it is not then Ill edit and remove the link
Wiring Diagrams for 2010 Dyna
Good on you for sticking with it

Back