free website stats program A few questions regarding the troubleshooting I am doing to figure out the cause of U1016 on my bike. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

A few questions regarding the troubleshooting I am doing to figure out the cause of U1016 on my bike.

@ Shovels4ever I am just getting to work on it now. Going to hit all connectors with contact cleaner allow to dry and put it all back together. Then I guess the course of action to take is to Do the TRSSM relearn configuration, then make sure that Pin 5 from the ECM is poroducing 5VDC, other powered pins to and from the ECM to TSSM are what they should be. then Voltage drop tests across all the sensors within said system CKP and VSS? then finally the actual U1016 tests. Hopefully it was some loose connection vibrating and receiving power then not instead of a dead Module as the TSSM's I have seen are upwards of $400 and at least that to double for a new ECM.

@Justjake I have to its my mode of transportation. The wife has her vehicle, but Im not going to deprive her of that if I can help it.

I think this is the proper TSSM procedure I am supposed to follow? Sound about right either of you?

@ Shovels4ever I am just getting to work on it now. Going to hit all connectors with contact cleaner allow to dry and put it all back together. Then I guess the course of action to take is to Do the TRSSM relearn configuration, then make sure that Pin 5 from the ECM is poroducing 5VDC, other powered pins to and from the ECM to TSSM are what they should be. then Voltage drop tests across all the sensors within said system CKP and VSS? then finally the actual U1016 tests. Hopefully it was some loose connection vibrating and receiving power then not instead of a dead Module as the TSSM's I have seen are upwards of $400 and at least that to double for a new ECM.

@Justjake I have to its my mode of transportation. The wife has her vehicle, but Im not going to deprive her of that if I can help it.
Excellent plan sir! I never bought a car until I was 36, rode bikes from the time I was 9, so I've walked in your shoes in that respect.

Grocery shopping required a cart rental and an apartment within walking distance

I think this is the proper TSSM procedure I am supposed to follow? Sound about right either of you?

That is the procedure I use on my 07 Screamin Eagle. I can't say for certain. Mine is a Dyna as well......

Yes

Yeah one would think so.... I am waiting for the day when I can actually use the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for anything but the wiring diagrams and actually feel that the $120 spent on it didn't feel like I was (EDIT). I have power to and from all modules on the correct wires. Thats about as far as that gold wrapped manual is concerned. ALL RESETTING procedures for all security items mentioned in the manual is 1000% incorrect for my bike. Also the tests for U1016 leave me hanging as none show anything I have not been able to find an addendum to it either.

I have Battery Power 13.1 VDC on a brand new Lithium battery drops to 12.8VDC when under load (bike is starting)
Wire 5 off ECM has 5VDC Wire 14 has -5VDC
TSSM Serial DATA Circuit Continuity test just purely make zero sense as written. check for continuity between pins 3 on the TSSM and Pin 5 on the ECM.
If Yes Replace ECM
If No repair the break in the LGN/V wire
So am I looking for continuity or not? I work on high voltage audio gear to augment my income and went to school for it. The procedure would have gotten whoever wrote it would havew been ridiculed mercessly because its telling you to ensure continuiity.

Unless the breakout boxes do something different that just allow you to test in between components.Open Ground test and Switched circuit test are obvious those are ok as the bike starts

\Speedometer Serial DATA Circuit Continuity test says same thing. Im somewhat scared to test drive the bike seeing how the manual essentially says that I have to replace the ECM and there are no additional tests to see what is really going on.

The security system tests dont work with my key fobs as they are buttronless and all the procedures are for buttoned fobs,

kill switch off ign on-off on-off on, mashing the left turn signal twice turns my signal lights on and when I mash the right one once the right side turns on and then shows my my passcode. mashing right side again cycles the code place. so after mashing the right side a total of three times I should get a single flash then two flashes, then three, then mashing the left again shoud show an error code has been made, holding the left side for 5-6 additional seconds clears the code. Ign off
Yeah thats not remotelyt close to what happens all that I get is signal lights turning on and off and the passcode and cycling through the cose with successive right presses.

Anyone have a clue? because the electrical manual is (EDIT) clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fobs have no button either. Do the three volt batteries in the fob have 3 volts? Take them apart and test.

I'll look at wiring diagram and try to catch up. I need to know what pin 3, 14, and 5 control.

I'll be back once I check it out. If you can get to the tssm, what is the voltage key on, bike off and then running. I'm sure that information will be pertinent.

Ok so, I agree. Text on continuity test is ridiculous!

According to diagram, there should be continuity between 3 tssm and 5 ECM along with the speedometer pin 2. Is that all correct? Does that match what your test results?

If so, switch to resistance and test. Should be close to zero.

Pin 1 tssm battery voltage with key on?

Pin 12 tssm, is there a good ground?

Pin 31 ECM key switch on run switch on needs battery voltage.

Pin 10 and 28 ground ECM

Pin 7 speedo ground.

The fuel pump and fuel gauge are on the same circuit with the speedometer yellow wire. Should all have battery power with key on.

In viewing the wiring diagrams, it appears the bike can run, but, still have problems with tssm data.

It seems to me, possibly there is an issue lvn/g between the ECM, tssm, and speedo.

I have no idea what the voltage pulses should be on the serial data circuit.

It seems they should all have continuity.

Check pin 2 on tssm as well, should get battery voltage, goes back to ignition. Key on, run switch on.

Lift rear tire off ground to test drive if you don't trust it.

Last edited:
U1016 Loss of ICM/ECM Serial Data Instruments
U1016 Loss of ECM Serial Data, Vehicle Speed

These are the codes, so makes sense we lost serial data. The bike is telling us that.

Based on this info, the problem should be on the circuit previously mentioned.

According to diagram, there should be continuity between 3 tssm and 5 ECM along with the speedometer pin 2.

There should be voltage pulses as well while running.

So......
The U1016 DTC means loss of ECM "state of health" message on serial data feed. The serial data is sent from the ECM at terminal #5 on a light green with violet stripe (LGN/V) wire. The common reasons why this DTC is set:
  1. an open ground (check for ground continuity on ECM terminals 10 and 28)
  2. loss of Switched power = white with black stripe (W/BK) wire (fed from engine "stop" switch when in the "RUN" position)
  3. bad ECM
  4. loss of serial data (need to check LGN/V wire for damage)
It makes sense to me to check all the connections I've listed (while thinking out loud..lol)!

The focus being on serial data circuit LGN/V.

I'd also focus on the ground circuit, most of the problems I run into are a direct result of a faulty ground.

I apologize for the long drawn out process, but, the problem is simple, however, the solution becomes complex due to all the testing.

I have to break the process down in steps and document as I go so we don't repeat the same procedures.

This is not a recall or every day problem. It is usually caused when people modify the bike and stretch wires IE new handlebars, accessories, etc ....

Hope this helps provide direction Boss

The serial data circuit may turn out to be perfect, however, the other circuits above must be perfect as well.

The ECM will not send data unless those conditions are met. So, it's a process of elimination. If all the other attached circuits test good, then there is a driver issue within the ECM at pin 5.

Back