free website stats program Group Rides or Solo? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Group Rides or Solo?

Well it depends, I spend most of the time with wife on back and we ride, to some arranged meeting place and stay there. From time to time Ill hop in on the back with the local M/C and they ride side by side and close front to back, I have spend lots of miles with them and we all feel comfortable and safe in that
configuration, but you cant , check out the landscape. A few things I will not do, hogchapters rides, or any of the large toy runs. These two things go along with calling me brother. Partner is a much better description. Long trips,
its great to have others on the gas stops to compare new stories and or lies with. (EDIT) you go bugs all over you .. partner... :D

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
As Glider pointed out, this topic has been hit at least once before, but I guess since we take on so many new members each month there's some thoughts that will get re-opened from time to time! :D

That's ok....always happy to hear some fresh thoughts from new members and the shared experience of the older guys once again!

I used to ride with a large group, but that has ended and I now limit my riding to just a couple close friends most of the time, although I'll still join a large group once in a while.

Since Cathy no longer consistently rides with me as she always did in our younger days I often find myself riding alone!

In the past, when I belonged to a club, I didn't enjoy that, but now that I'm a LOT older and maybe just a tiny bit wiser I realize I feel safer alone or with just those couple close buds than with a large group.

I consider myself an accomplished rider. No brag, just fact. 40 Plus years of riding and putting on a lot of miles and owning lot of different bikes and taking some very long road trips do give some valuable experience that can't be had any other way.

But all that has taught me is that the majority of riders are "weekend warriors" who really don't follow the safety protocols necessary to ride in rather close proximity at rather high speeds on a rather vulnerable vehicle!

So, with a family who still needs me, and bones that won't heal as fast as they might have once, I, like many of the other posters here, choose to restrict my rides to either solo or very small group outings, and while there was a time I wouldn't have thought this would be my choice, it has now become my truly preferred way of getting out on the scooter.

This last paragraph sums it up fopr me too!

:D I like ridding with at least one other bike,yet my wife,loves just two up,and stopping were ever she wants,when she wants,and not having a bunch of others,making comments. my time, my route. and my pace..:newsmile037:

A newbie perspective. I am like a sponge, absorbing all the experience I can get from more experienced riders, and therefore really like to ride with a few good riders. I have a lot of experience in other modes of transportation, off roading, private pilot, and over a couple million miles on highways as well as a motocross background when I was much younger.

I rode with two real experienced riders this spring, in staggered formation, 5 to 10 mph over, and had a ball. We were all 2 up and I felt safe the whole time. I got to know where they'd be and could anticipate what was coming up.

I've recently ridden with some other guys and they consider themselves experienced, but I found myself thinking I would almost rather ride alone. Although they had a lot of experience, their speed varied and was inconsistent and I never wanted to get close to either of them in a town.

I love riding with my wife on the back, but she won't always go or doesn't have the time. I've been on a few shorter solo rides and actually liked it a lot. I wanted to do a longer ride this weekend, around 500 miles, and was thinking I was crazy wanting to solo it until reading this. Now I'm thinking I'll be heading out early with a smile on my face.

I joined a local HOG chapter and have yet to ride with them, but I'm looking forward to seeing the dynamics of the group and experiencing the large group ride. I'll be watching and riding cautiously when it happens.

Back